The Depressing Truth about Endocrine Disruptors
Perhaps one of the most depressing but necessary topics to discuss are endocrine disruptors. These chemicals are wreaking havoc on your body in ways that many people are unaware.
Some endocrine disruptors are naturally occurring, but most are man-made chemicals that have found their way into our water, food, and bodies. The rise in breast cancer over the last 70 years parallels the ever-increasing list of man-made chemicals.
Do you remember how diethylstilbestrol (DES) used to be given to pregnant women? Not only are the women who were given DES at higher risk of cancer, but so are their daughters because these chemicals come through in utero. On average, babies are born with 200 chemicals already present in their bodies, many of which are endocrine disruptors.
What are endocrine disruptors
They are chemicals that either mimic your natural hormones or block your hormone receptors. And in case you are new to holistic health and functional medicine… your hormones basically control EVERYTHING!! When there is a glitch in this system, there are issues in every other system in the body.
There are 3 outcomes with ED’s:
- Create a response more powerful than the original hormone
- Create a less powerful response than the original hormone
- Create a completely different outcome than the original hormone
These chemicals can change creation, transport, binding, and breakdown in the body.
ED’s are very stable too, this is why manufactures include them so often in products. They are very hard to breakdown in the body – good for the product, horrible for your body.
Like I said, your hormones (endocrine system) control everything in your body. Therefore, when these chemicals disrupt your normal hormone function, the cascade of chaos effect is endless.
– Decrease in male and female fertility
– Birth defects (which can go on to affect multiple generations).
– Increased rates of cancer
– Increase in autoimmunity and immune related disorders
– Increase in neurological issues
– Increased rates of obesity and diabetes
– Early onset of menarche (first period)
– Change in cholesterol conversion to steroid hormones
Where are ED’s found
Unfortunately, ED’s are abundant in the world today. This is partly because most of these chemicals are not regulated or banned, especially in the United States. There are over 100,000 chemicals registered, with more being developed every year, and almost NONE of them have safety studies completed. The United States only bans 30 chemicals as opposed to other countries. Canada bans over 600 and Europe bans over 1400 chemicals. So please do not think that just because it is sold in a store, it is safe.
Endocrine disruptors can be in…
- Personal Care Products
Taking a thorough look at what you are using is a crucial piece to taking ownership of your health. You need to know what you are being exposed to so that you can make a plan to change it. Check out my toxin checklist and go through your house TODAY!
Top Endocrine Disruptors to look out for:
– Bisphenol A (BPA)
– Organophosphate Pesticides
– Polychlorinated Biphenyls (PCBs)
– Perfluorinated or perfluorocarbons (PFCs)
– Fire Retardants
– Glycol Ethers
For a complete list of endocrine disruptors check out the EWG. Great resource on chemicals and toxins as well as safer options.
What the heck to do now
Now that you know what endocrine disruptors are, what they do, and where they are your found; you’re probably wondering what the heck to do! Ideally, you’ll want to reduce and eliminate your exposure to ED’s as much as possible. Then really support your body the best you can at eliminating the rest.
How to Reduce ED’s Impact:
- Buy organic and local
- Eat mostly homemade meals
- Get fresh air daily
- Reduce or eliminate use of plastic
- Support body’s natural detoxification systems and elimination pathways
- Females – strongly consider stopping hormonal birth control
- Find more homeopathic alternatives to drugs
- Limit and reduce screen time (consider turning off WiFi at night or putting phone in AirPlane mode).
If you are struggling to lose weight, having digestive issues, trouble with fertility, or feeling like you are in a constant brain fog – please reach out! Let’s help you detox from all these endocrine disruptors and restore your body’s endocrine system