How detoxification impacts hormone balance…
This is not about “juicing” or “cleansing” or dropping 5 pounds in a week… Every week I work with women that are dealing with extreme hormone imbalances, and after running a full hormone panel, many of them are dealing with improper detoxification.
Most people think of detoxification in relation to toxins, chemicals, and alcohol. However, you also detox excess hormones! What happens when these hormones are not properly detoxed? IMBALANCE, dysregulation, and system wide breakdown (okay maybe not system wide, but an imbalance in one area of the body leads to imbalance in other areas of the body too!)
Before I get into the nitty gritty, let me give you a quick rundown on detoxification.
You have 4 main detoxification pathways:
ALL of these pathways need to be open and functioning properly to maintain balance in the body. So, if you aren’t peeing, pooping, sweating, and taking deep cleansing breathes, then that is priority NUMBER ONE!
You do not want to start supporting and ramping up your detoxification pathways if they are not working properly.
Mainly, I’m talking about your poop! This is the area that most struggle the most in. Usually with chronic or at least regular constipation and sometimes diarrhea. Constipation is a sign that you are not eliminating toxins in a reasonable amount of time. Instead, all those toxins and excess hormones are staying STUCK in your colon. What happens when they stay stuck for too long? All those toxins, chemicals, and hormones get REABSORBED! Now, your body has to break them down AGAIN! This creates added stress on the body, especially your liver!
Speaking of your liver. Your liver is the main player in the detox game! It’s responsible for breaking down, packing up, and shipping out all of those toxins and hormones. And this is where a lot of the trouble centers around. Your liver isn’t just working on excreting excess hormones, if that was it’s only job, you probably would be feeling a lot better than you are!
The liver is breaking down:
- Chemicals and toxins from the air you breathe, the water you drink, the food you eat, all of it!
- Chemicals found in cleaning products and personal care products
- Free radicals and bile acids
- Biochemical toxins created by stress and emotions (you know you got those!)
- Overgrowth from parasites, fungus, yeast, and bacteria
- And then hormones too!
As you can imagine, your liver is a bit overwhelmed by the amount of work it has to do. Some of these areas can most certainly be cleaned up and take some of the burden off your liver, so that your liver can then be more effective and efficient and detoxing everything else. When your liver is overburdened by so many chemicals and toxins, it doesn’t have a lot of energy left to then detox your hormones thus creating the back up and leading to hormone imbalance.
Why should you care about hormone imbalances?
Because they most likely are creating some of the issues you are experiencing like:
- Feeling tired all the time
- Having intense mood swings
- Gaining weight, especially around the hips, thighs, and waist
- Irregular cycles/ heavy cycles/ issues with fertility
- Decrease in bone density
Just to name a few!
I’ll be sharing more about this next week, but poor detoxification of hormones, especially estrogen, leaves women more susceptible of having cancer. This is a big topic, so I want to devote a separate blog to it (will link it here when it’s up). Seeing as this is Breast Cancer Awareness month, understanding risk factors is a big way to prevent it.
So what can you do right now to help support your detoxification pathways?
- Drink water! Help flush everything through your body.
- Get your body moving, get your heart rate up, and get sweaty! This will increase your breathing and open up your sweat glands – two pathways for one!
- Remember the 3 F’s – FLUID, FAT, and FIBER! Fluid helps to keep things moving, fat lubricates, and fiber pushes it all through. If you aren’t pooping, get these up ASAP. Reach out if you are not having at least one bowel movement a day, this is NOT NORMAL, NOT OKAY! Honestly, this is a big problem.
- Eat liver loving foods – beets, dandelion greens, grapefruit, broccoli, cauliflower, leeks, onions, and garlic.
- Eat protein! Protein, especially animal protein because of its bioavailability is crucial for support the different phases of detoxification.
- Use castor oil packs regularly (read more here.) Get a mess-free castor oil pack kit here (code: 3LEAF10 to save!)
- Reach out for help! There is a lot that goes into each individual’s detoxification pathways and capabilities. Working with a functional practitioner can help make a big difference and get you feeling better fast!
Stay tuned for more as I unpack more on how detoxification impacts your hormone health. And remember your hormones play a role in every system of your body. So hormone balance is key to overall health and wellbeing!