Happy Earth Day! While Earth Day is celebrated nationally once a year, it truly is something to celebrate and honor every single day. This is the only Earth that we have and we need to take care of it! One benefit from this whole COVID-19 shelter-in-place is that the Earth has been HEALING! Pollution is down, the oceans and rivers are clearing up, and wild-life is even returning. While this pandemic is devastating, there are silver linings to be gleamed through this.
Hopefully some of the changes people have made during this time can be sustained once restrictions are lifted. Walking and biking more. Spending less time driving. Buying more local! Supporting small businesses. All great shifts that can be carried on!
Even though you might not be able to go celebrate Earth Day with friends at the State Park or go to the local Farmer’s Market this year, there are still a lot of ways to celebrate Earth Day while respecting social distancing. Earth Day is NOT CANCELLED!
- Take a walk in your neighborhood. Bring a little garbage with you and pick up any trash that you see. Make it a game with the kids- see how much trash they can pick up, have a little prize for them!
- Plant a tree or a plant. This is one that I’m working on – building garden beds in my backyard.
- Hug a tree! Trees are fair game during this shelter-in-place. Hug as many as you can!
- Donate to an organization that is working towards protecting our Earth. Here’s a great list of non-profits that are working towards a sustainable future.
- Support local. Not only does this reduce the environmental impact, keeping money in the local economy honestly benefits everyone. Get a meal from a local restaurant if they are open, buy a gift card online if possible to be used later, or even leave a review of one of your local favorites (helps them and costs you nothing!)
- Make an environmental swap. Make today the day that you ditch plastic water bottles or single use straws. Perhaps you finally order a reusable cup that you are obsessed with so you no longer get that damn Starbucks cup (once you are able to use your own again!)
- Ground yourself. No, you aren’t in trouble! Take off your shoes and go walk barefoot in the grass or a stream. Connect to Mother Earth, let all her negative ions rebalance and ground you.
- SMILE and BE KIND. Spreading love and positivity to your neighbors and those around you is good for this EARTH! The universe is a collection of energy, so spread good energy!
No matter what you choose to do today, please take a moment to say thank you to this Earth. To everything that it provides for us. To everything it endures because of us. Say thank you.